311th Fighter-Bomber Group
The 311th Fighter Group was one of three fighter groups to use the A-36, a modified version of the P-51 Mustang. Modifications were to build larger flaps for dive bombing and set bomb settings on the underside. The group also had the standard P-51 Mustangs for escort duty. The A-36 (named the Apache and Invader) was built in far fewer numbers than the P-51. The group went first to Australia then moved to India during the period of July-September 1943. Its missions were in Burma and to escort transports and bombers flying the Hump to and from China.
It spent most of July-August 1944 operating from Tingkawk Sakan, Burma, supporting Merrill's Marauders in close air support and other (O.S.S.) missions. It moved to China to the 14th Air Force, remaining there until war's end. Afterward, many P-51s were transferred to equip the Chinese Air Force, before the remainder were returned to the U.S. in December 1945.
Its group aircraft in cluded: Vultee V-72 Vengeance (1942), North American Aircraft A-36 and P-51 Mustangs (1943-1945).
It was first constituted 28 January 1942 andwas activated 2 March 1942. It was assigned to 10th Air Force September 1943 through July 1944, first in India then in Burma. It was transferred to activities with the 14th Air Force for August 1944 through December 1945. The India bases included Nawadih and Dinjan; then Tingkawk, Burma, and finally to Pungchacheng, China. Its component squadrons included: 385th Fighter Squadron (1942-1943), 528th Fighter Squadron (1st designated 382nd then 132nd), 529th Fighter Squadron (1st designated 383rd then 133rd), and the 530th Fighter Squadron (1st designated 384th then 134th). Information from: Rickard, J., 18 Dec. 2007.