PLOSKI, FRANK J., Corporal, # 33353972, U.S. Army


Frank J. Ploski was born 12 October 1921 in Larksville, Pennsylvania, to Frank Ploski (1889-1957) (born Poland) and Veronica (Shucoski) Ploski (1903-1995). Siblings included Mary Gertrude (Ploski) Sterowski (1917-2003), Joseph Edmund Ploski (1924-2012), and Edward Anthony Ploski (1929-2001).


He registered for the WW II draft in 1942, describing himself as 5’11”, 154 lbs, with brown hair and eyes. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, on 14 September 1942. After training at Fort Lee, Virginia, at the Quartermast Headquarters & Schools, he was sent overseas in February 1943 to India, assigned to the 478th Quaartermaster Battalion, 3841st Quartermaster Truck Company. On 11 June 1944, C-47A, # 43-15403, 443rd Troop Carrier Group, 2nd Troop Carrier Squadron, departed the 10th Air Force airfield at Dinjan, India, on an air supply mission to the map coordinates 22R SC2562, Burma. The aircraft crashed near Kum Gahtawng, Burma. Five of the crew were killed. His remains were recovered and first buried at the airfield cemetery in India and, in time, buried in Arlington National Cemetery on 8 June 1948 (Sec. 12, Site 4435).

HNIZDOR, EDWARD, Technician 5th Grade, # 36372600, U.S. Army


Edward Hnizdor was born on 24 January 1921 in Illinois to Dominick Hnizdor (1891-    ) and Parasceva “Bessie” (Koziol) Hnizdor (1891-    ) (both born in Russia - naturalized). Siblings included Anne Bessie (Hnizdor) Neumann nee Erwin (1915-1998), Olga (Hnizdor) Dobish (1917-1976), Helen (Hnizdor) Grys (1919-1970), and Michael Richad Hnizdor (1926-1990). On 18 February 1949, he married Loretta S. Korczynski. He died 26 August 2006 in Elmwood Park, Cook County, Illinois. He was survived by his wife, a daughter and grandchildren.


He enlisted in the U.S. Army in Chicago, Illinois, on 16 September 1942. He was trained at Fort Lee, Virginia (Quatermaster Corps Headquarters & Schools), then sent overseas to India and assigned to the 3841st Quartermaster Truck Co. He reported that He was sitting on a pile of sacks as they flew to the drop zone. The pilot climbed and swung right sharply. He saw the aircraft was going to hit a hill. The aircraft hit on its belly, the nose pointing uphill. He was dazed but conscious, pinned down by food sacks. A Chinese patrol arrived and cut him free. He received cuts to his back. The front of the aircraft burned. The Chinese used water to prevent him being burned. The Chinese carried him on a makeshift litter to a company aid station, then to the 13th Medical Battalion, where he remained more than a week. His left leg, left side, and back were badly bruised and strained. A 13th Medical Bn Captain told him that he had seen to the burial of the five crew members who were killed in the crash. He said he found identification for each. He was honorably discharged 3 June 1945.