The American sailors rescued survivors but failed to save the U-boat. After returning to Algiers and delivering her prisoners to British authorities there, she resumed convoy and patrol duties in North African waters. At the beginning of 1944, she provided support for the troops trying to break out of the beachheads at Anzio and Nettuno on the Italian mainland. Those duties occupied her until early February when she received orders to return to the United States. She steamed homeward in company with Ariel (AF-22) and Niblack via Ponta Delgada in the Azores, arrived at New York on 12 February, and entered the navy yard there for a three-week overhaul. When that chore was finished on 6 March, the destroyer began 13 months of escort and training duty along the eastern seaboard. That routine ended on 27 April 1945 when she passed through the Panama Canal into the Pacific Ocean. After a stop at San Diego, California and exercises out of Pearl Harbor, the warship headed for the western Pacific. She reached Ulithi on 13 June and for the next two months sailed between various islands in the area. She visited Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Saipan, Guam, and Eniwetok. On 12 August, she departed the last-named atoll in company with TF 49 bound for the Aleutian Islands. While she was at sea, the Japanese capitulation ended hostilities. He died on 17 November 1965 and is also buried in the Hills of Rest Memorial Park.

PISTERZI, ENRICO EMILIO "Hank", Technical Sergeant, # 18069493, USAAF


Enrico Emilio Pisterzi was born on 13 July 1915 in Sunnyside, Utah, to Giuseppe “Joseph” Pisterzi (1887-1981) (Anasene, Italy – arrived 1903) and Clementina Pizterzi (1888-1977) (married 14 October 1909, Amasemo, Italy – she arrived U.S. 1914). Siblings included Antonio John Pisterzi (1912-1952) (Italy), Olga Pizterzi (1917-1958), Theresa Eleanor Pisterzi (1920-2008), and Joanna Jane Pisterzi (1928-1982). He attended Regis College, Denver, Colorado. He was married to Barbara (Windholz) Pisterzi (1921-1981) and they had two daughters.


He registered for the WW II draft on 16 October 1940, resided at RFD 2, Arvada, Adams Co., Colorado and described himself as 5’, 125 lbs, with blond hair and blue eyes. He enlisted in the USAAF on 10 January 1942. He was trained as a gunner on the B-29 Superfortress and was sent overseas to India. On 14 December 1944, a B-29 40BW, # 42-24574, assigned to 20th Air Force, 40th Bomb Group, 45th Bomb Squadron, departed the airfield at Chakulia, India, on a bombing mission at 20,000’, over Rangoon railway yards, Burma, and Bangkok, Siam (Thailand). He was the tail gunner. It crashed about 70 to 80 miles west of Rangoon. Its last known location was near 16º 46’ North & 94º 46’ East. According to 1stLt Etherington, the crew was able to bail out, were captured by enemy Burmese and turned over to the Japanese enemy, who imprisoned them in the Rangoon Cantonment (old British Prison). The pilot, co-pilot, navigator, bombardier, engineer, and radio operator bailed out through the nosewheel well. The waist gunners, senior gunner, tail gunner, and radar operator bailed out through the rear door. The co-pilot sprained an ankle upon landing. The rest were uninjured by the jump. Therington, Benedict, Fletcher, Majors, Oglesby, Pisterzi, Basche, and Cochran were marched through the jungle by the enemy for 65 miles when the Japanese abandoned them in a Burmese village about 10 miles NW of Pegu, Burma. By 29 April 1945, they were liberated by the British Army. Shanks, Lentz and Sommers were imprisoned in Rangoon. He was treated and returned to duty after liberation on about 1 May 1945. He was separated from the USAAF on 21 August 1945. He died on 9 January 2000 in Arvada, Colorado.


His brother, Antonio J. Pisterzi, born 6 March 1912, enlisted in Denver, Colorado, on 12 December 1942. He died on 26 March 1952 in Seattle, Washington, and is buried there in the Calvary Cemetery.