No crewmen were found. Airmen in B-29, 42-6582, 40th Bomb Group, at 2030 Zulu, saw a B-29 explode and crash into the Bay of Bengal at 11º 17’ N - 94º 14’ E, near the Andaman Islands. On this B-29s return trip from the mission, saw red and green flares. SSgt Seekatz, radio operator aboard B-29 42-6397, received an “Urgent” call from 42- 6370 at 2030 Zulu but no following message was sent. Another B-29 crew, returning from the same mission, saw a yellow life raft with either a mast or a man standing slightly north of the noted bearing. The entire Bomber Command (20th AF) and units of the British Navy conducted a thorough search of the area for several hundred miles around the wreckage location. The search lasted several days. Nothing was found. He is remembered on the memorial wall in the Manila American Cemetery & Memorial, Philippines. He was awarded the Air Medal and the Purple Heart.


His brother, Excel C. Queen, enlisted in the U.S. Army on 7 January 1942 at Camp Blanding, Florida, and was honorably discharged 17 September 1945, a Corporal. He died 3 June 2006 and is buried in the Royal Palm South Cemetery, Saint Petersburg, Florida.

ANDREW, JOHN JULIAN, War Correspondent, United Press International


John J. Andrew was born on 24 June 1919 in Illinois to John Robert Andrew (1880-1937) (Monticello, Illinois) and Elizabeth Caroline “Dallie” (Julian) Andrew nee Ledgett (1884-1974) (London, England) (married 29 July 191, Miami Co., IN). Siblings included Mary Jane (Andrew) Snodgrass (1921-1991), James Arthur Andrew (1925-2002), Anne Elizabeth (Ledgett) Stailey (1911-1984), and Margaret Elizabeth Ledgett (1913-2004). In 1934, the family resided at 415 S. College, Springfield, IL. His father was employed by the Illinois State Fairgrounds. Dallie Andrew was a circus performer.


John J. Andrew attended Springfield High School and Springfield Junior College and been schooled in Chicago, IL, and Houston, TX. He had been employed by United Press for eighteen months before his death. He had been in the C.B.I. (Kandy, Ceylon) since June 1944 and covered assignments on the Burma war front, the jungle campaigns at Imphal, India and in northern Burma around Myitkyina. He was ill from malaria. 20th Air Force Bomber Command General Curtis E. Lemay, said, “He was a good newspaperman, always on the spot ready to go when anything was happening. All of our crews that had a chance to meet him, liked him. He was another newsman willing to risk his life to get a story for the American public.” GIs at widely scattered bases knew him as a man who could dig up a bottle of beer for them when others failed. He was honorably discharged as a permanently disabled U.S. Navy midshipman. Fellow correspondents said, “John liked the big bombers and he wasn’t afraid to ride in them. He was probably the only correspondent, with photographers, anxious to ride with crews on raids. He was fearless and brave, perhaps too brave. He was a swell guy whose loss will be felt in many places in India, Burma, and China.”