# 42-73055 continued.

10 December 1943 - The Decatur Daily & The Decatur Herald - ROY WENTS, JR., MISSING - Lieut. Roy Wentz, Jr., of Springfield, a navigator with the USAAF heavy bomber force in India, has been reported missing in action. His father is assistant principal of the Springfield H.S. Roy's mother, Mrs. Wentz, is the former Mina Regnold of Decatur.

14 May 1945 - The Decatur Daily Review - Yesterday, reading about the liberation of a number of Yanks in Rangoon, we saw the name Lt. Roy A. Wentz of Springfield. He went down with his B-24J bomber Dec. 1, 1943 and until Saturday morning, his parents had not received a word about him. His father is Dean of Boys at the Springfield H.S. His mother is a graduate of the Milliken Conservatry of Music and the joy in the Wentz household is wonderful on this Mother's Day.

24 May 1945 - Freeport Journal-Standard - Major General Howard C. Davidson, Commander, 10th Air Force, awarded the Presidential Unit Citation to the B-24J Bombardment Group.

2 June 1945 - Chicago Tribune - "Ornery" Hero Gets The Girl Who Waited - Smiles Reward Long Stay in Jap Jail - AMERICAN HOSPITAL IN CALCUTTA INDIA - About the last thing Lt. Roy Wentz did that fateful day in early December, 1943, before climbing into his Liberator bomber and leading his squadron over Rangoon, was to get off a letter to his fiancee. "Just a few more weeks and I'll be coming home," he said. "Hope you aren't tired [of] waiting." Rangoon turned out to be a hot spot that day. Jap fighters shot down Liberators, including Wentz's. The war department notified Wentz's parents at Springfield, IL, that he was missing in action. They also told his fiancee, Patty Norburg, in Jacksonville, IL. "He's all right," Patty said. "He's too ornery for anything to happen to him." Bad Things Happen - All Bad - Wentz was all right. He had parachuted from his plane. FrightenedBurmese would not shelter him and so the Japs caught him and took him to Rangoon. There is the city jail cells [a former British prison], with American fliers and natives so tightly packed there was hardly room to lie on the floor. Wentz met 56 of his buddies. After several months in the cells, the 57 men were moved to another prison. No fun! Rice and tea! No medicine! Filth! In a year, 25 were dead. On April 29 of this year the Jap guards threw a note into the prison and vanished. It said, "We hope to meet you again on battlefield somewhere." Five days later allied troops entered Rangoon. All Over Except Wedding - Wentz and the other prisoners were brought to the hospital here. The first thing Wentz did was send a cable to Patty. Days passed without answer. "She didn't wait," he feared. Just a few minutes ago a little smiling brunette walked into the hospital ward. "Patty!," Wentz shouted. When the greetings were over, Patty explained. She came to India a year ago as a goverment girl. "I knew I could find you," she said. "How did you know I was all right?" Wentz asked. "You had to be," she said, running a hand through his hair. "You're too ornery." The wedding will be any time now.

H.S. Freshman


Roy A. Wentz (SR.)