The Triple Nickel was overwhelmed. "Wax's unit fought back, but its 105mm shells had "only limited effect" on the advancing tanks. "By 9 a.m., the enemy had overrun the battalion," the report says. The survivors were forced to destroy their artillery pieces and flee to the nearby hills. The Triple Nickel lost 180 members in the initial assault and 120 more as they tried to regroup. "Cpl. Wax was killed by enemy fire during the opening phase of this moving battle," the report says. "His remains were never recovered and may have been expediently buried by enemy forces." When American forces retook the area about six weeks later, they recovered the remains of nine unidentified men and later buried them in a cemetery at Masan, South Korea. But in early 1951, the U.S. military consolidated some cemeteries and shipped the remains to Kokura, Japan. Investigators examined them in February 1952, February 1954 and again in April 1955 when a military review board "declared the X-88 remains to be unidentifiable." In a mix of tragedy and irony, the remains were then transferred to the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu, where Wax's father had been buried 11 years earlier. Harvey Wax traveled to Hawaii years later and visited his uncle's grave, never knowing his cousin was buried nearby. The remains of Unknown X-88 lay in that cemetery, section U, grave 421, for the next 56 years. In January 2009, Cpl. Wax's nephew, John Downs, 64, of Raleigh, N.C., received a call from a Korean War veteran who said he was working to identify unknown remains. "I thought it was a scam, but he gave me an 800 number to call," Downs said. It was almost a year before his call was returned. The military asked for DNA samples, which Downs and Clute provided by swabbing the insides of their cheeks. That, however, was not helpful, possibly because of embalming chemicals used in the 1950s. In October 2011, military investigators thought they had a match. Of the nine unknowns from Bloody Gulch, four could be eliminated based on 1950s-era profiles of the remains. Dental records eliminated four others. That left one possibility: Cpl. Wax. The X rays from Wax's enlistment files were matched to the skeletal remains. Carl Stephen, an anthropologist who compared X rays in November 2011, finally concluded "based on numerous items of concordance of the left and right clavicles and C4-T3 vertebrae," that the remains matched Wax's chest X ray. On Jan. 17, Thomas Holland, scientific director for the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command in Hawaii, issued a report concluding the remains were those of Cpl. Wax. "What surprised us most was that they had his remains," Downs said. "Our family story was that he had been destroyed in the attack. There were no remains. To find out that they had a whole skeletal set was really awfully surprising."

ROSENFELD, SAMUEL, First Lieutenant, # 0-576102, USAAF


Samuel Rosenfeld was born in 2 October 1912 in Cleveland, Ohio to Joseph Rosenfeld (1873-    ) (Germany – emigrated 1882; naturalized 1893) and Flora Etta. (Fuerst) Rosenfeld (1873-1924) (OH). Siblings included Abner Morton Rosenfeld (1907-1955), Wilbur Fuerst Rosenfeld (1911-    ). In the 1930 census, Samuel and Wilbur Fuerst Rosenfeld, ages 17 & 19 respectively, were nephews living with Henry D. Fuerst (1882-1939) (OH) and Eva Rosalyn (Borinstein) Fuerst (1886-1967) (IN) on N. Portage Path, Akron, Ohio. Wilbur F. Rosenfeld married Doris Jayne Holub on 23 May 1942 in Akron, Ohio; officiated by Rabbi David Alexander, Temple Israel, Akron, Ohio.