43-4086           B25


On 10 February 1945, a B-25J, # 43-4086, assigned to 10th Air Force, 341st Bomb Group, 490th Bomb Squadron, departed the airfield at Warazup, Burma, on a bombing and strafing mission to Laihka. After completing its mission and as it was returning to base on one engine, it crashed and the crew was killed; at about 1300 hours near 23º 18’ North & 97º 45’ East. It was last sighted by another B-25 crew which was flying with it as it struggled to return: 1stLt Maurice W. Graves, 0-789445, and 2ndLt William H. Dugan, 0-718895. The crew were:


                                                Pilot                                         F/O Albert J. Dugas                T-125793

                                                Co-Pilot                                   2ndLt Robert K. Nelson          0-782781

                                                Engineer-Gunner                     Cpl Howard W. Gorham         39458198

                                                Armorer-Gunner                      Sgt Robert E. Barnes               34809563

                                                “                                               Cpl Donald E. Mathews          39208439


The next-of-kin were listed as:


                                             Nelson             Jean C Nelson, W, 877 Ecalyptus St, Hawthorne, CA

                                             Dugas              Steve L Dugas, F, Main St, Sleven, PA

                                             Barnes             Myrtle G Barnes, M, Rte 2, Gadston, Alabama

                                             Gorham           Elizabeth S Nale, M, Box 724, Wapato, WA

                                             Mathews          J. E. Mathews, M, Rte 2, Kennewick, WA


2ndLt William H. Dugan, 0-718895, reported: The B-25J lost an engine after the mission. As it flew back at low altitude, another B-25 accompanied it. Some puffs of smoke came off its good engine and they entered some small rain squalls and entered a valley. The stricken B-25 did not reappear. The accompanying B-25 circled and crew saw the B-25 on the ground in a shallow gulley. Two parachutes were about 75 yards away. They circled and did not see signs of life. They dropped food rations and made to photo runs (failed due to bad camera). Search and rescue was given the coordinates and they returned to base.


The tail and radio section were damaged so badly no one could escape. The rear emergency escape hatch had been pulled and the hatch could not be found. Two bodies were found 200 yards from the crash with partially opened parachutes. The five man crew were buried in a common grave about 50’ from the crash. Five bodies were exhumed by Graves Registration, four identified by Capt. Frankburg by dental records and then sent to Myitkyina on a C-47 for burial.