His certificate read: “This officer arrived in Malta on 6th November 1942, and has flown as pilot of Wellington aircraft on shipping reconnaissance during his tour in Malta. On one night in December 1942, he carried out an operation in conjunction with naval forces. As a result of his outstanding work the naval force was placed in contact with an enemy convoy and thus contributed largely to the almost total destruction of the enemy force. He has made many operational sorties in Wellingtons from Luqa, and has always accomplished his tasks in an exemplary manner. He is a skillful and courageous officer, and he has contributed largely to the many successes achieved by the squadron in locating enemy convoys."

Major Warren Sutton

HOAGLAND, LEWIS BERTHAL, First Lieutenant, # 0-739097, USAAF


Lewis B. Hoagland was born on 25 August 1915 in Kansas City, Jackson Co., Missouri, to Frank Julius Hoagland (1877-    ) and Viva Louise (Lewis) Hoagland (1881-1969) (married 6 November 1905, Colorado Springs, CO). Siblings included Franklin J. Hoagland (1913-1996).


He registered for the WWII draft on 16 October 1940 in Los Angeles, CA, employed by General Motors, resided at 4417 8th Ave., Los Angeles, CA, and described himself as 6’, 180 lbs, with black hair and brown eyes. After enlisting in the USAAF in Los Angeles, CA, on 20 April 1942, he was trained in the dual role as navigator and bombardier on the B-25 Mitchell. He earned his commission and wings. He was sent overseas to India. On 13 August 1944 a B-25H, # 43-4605, assigned to 10th Air Force, 12th Bomb Group, 81st Bomb Squadron, Feni, Bengal, India, departed its airfield on a low level bombing mission to the railroad from Tentabin to Wunsho, Burma. It was disabled when it was hit by enemy ground fire. Those who reported its crash were 1stLt Carter O. Cooper, 0-794382, 2ndLt Kenneth R. Mang, 0-696117, and 2ndLt Arden Z. Oats, 0-672178. 1stLt Cooper reported that after they bombed and strafed, he saw a B-25 with its right engine on fire losing altitude. It hit trees, crashed and exploded about 4 miles northwest of Kanbalu. 2ndLt Mang reported that after attacking, he heard 1stLt Cooper say, “They’ve got one.” He turned and saw the explosion. 2ndLt Oats reported that he saw the fire aftermath and saw a wing with the American star insignia. Once recovered the remains of the crew (1stLt Lewis B. Hoagland, SSgt. Clarence O. Manny, TSgt. Francisco Maturo, Maj. Warren W. Sutton, & SSgt. George H. Wooodward) were buried together (four caskets with five indistinguishable remains) on 7 September 1949 in Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington Virginia (Sec. 34, Graves 4895, 4896).