43-6080           P51


DUBOSE, ALLAN DARWIN, First Lieutenant, # 0-663702, USAAF


On 12 January 1943, a flight of P-51A-10 Mustangs departed the 10th Air Force fighter base at RAMU at about 1315 hours. The fighters were from the 311th Fighter-Bomber Group, the 530th Fighter-Bomber Squadron. A P-51A-10 was piloted by 1stLt Allan D. DuBose. Their assignment was to provide a fighter cover and escort to a flight of numerous B-24J heavy bombers on a mission to bomb Rangoon. 1stLt DuBose was last sighted near Danson Bay, alongside the Bay of Bengal. He was attacked and shot down by enemy fighters. The last sighting was by 2ndLt Aloisuis X. Hiltgen, 0-799181. He saw 1stLt DuBose bail out and parachute. He was captured and became a POW of the Japanese n Moulmein and Rangoon prison camps. He survived the prison harshness and was liberated about 2 May 1945.


Allan D. Dubose was born 25 October 1921 in Moore, Frio County, Texas to Aaron D. DuBose (1892-1973) and Jane “Janie” Marie (Black) Siebrecht nee DuBose (1902-1975). He was married to Nina E. Dubose (1922-2009). Another record shows him married to Elizabeth Joyce (Wiseman) DuBose (1924-1975), with a son.


He enlisted in the USAAF as an aviation cadet with three years of college on 5 January 1942 at Randolph Field, San Antonio, Texas (now Randolph AFB, Hqs USAF). At enlistment, he resided in Bexar County, Texas. After recovering his health after being released from the Rangoon Japanese prison, he was released from active duty 23 October 1946. He died 22 February 1989, aged 67 years, in Nueces, Texas, and is buried in the Lamar Cemetery, Lamar, Texas.


21 June 1945 – The Cameron Herald, Cameron, TX – LT. ALLAN D. DuBOSE IS VISITING IN CITY – Lt. Allan D. DuBose of San Antonio, who became a prisoner of the Japanese in Burma after his P-51 fighter plane was shot down off Burma in December 1943, is in Cameron. Lt. DuBose is the son of Mrs. Janie DuBose who was the former Miss Janie Black and was reared in San Antonio. Lt. DuBose is a nephew of Sheriff Carl C. Black. After he was reported missing in action, no word was ever received from him until he was liberated recently by British forces in Burma. Lt. DuBose wears the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters, and stars indicating two major campaigns. He had flown some 25 combat missions when he was shot down. He will soon report to a reassignment center in Florida. Lt. DuBose is recovering lost weight and is feeling fine. A handsome tall Texan, he looks every inch the part of a fighter pilot.