On 14 June, she was hit by a shell from an enemy shore battery which killed one man and wounded nine. Countless more lives would have been lost had it not been for the skills of Ensign William D. Kent. Following Saipan, her heavy guns helped blast the way for the assault force in the battles of Guam and Tinian from 18 July to 9 August. On 24 August, she arrived at Espiritu Santo, for repairs to her port bow damaged in a collision with her sister ship Tennessee (which was also present during the Pearl Harbor attack).

On 17 September, California sailed to Manus to ready for the invasion of the Philippines. From 17 October to 20 November, she played a key role in the Leyte operation, including the destruction of the Japanese fleet in the Battle of Surigao Strait on 25 October. In November there was a change of command with Captain Samuel B. Brewer relieving Captain Burnett. On 1 January 1945, she departed Palau for the Luzon landings providing gunfire support while under heavy air attack. On 6 January, while providing shore bombardment at Lingayen Gulf, she was hit by a kamikaze; 44 of her crew were killed and 155 were wounded, temporary repairs were effected on the spot and she continued to provide shore bombardment. She departed on 23 January for Puget Sound Navy Yard, arriving on 15 February, for permanent repairs. California returned to action at Okinawa on 15 June, and remained there until 21 July. Two days later, she joined Task Force 95 (TF 95) to cover the East China Sea mine-sweeping operations. After a short voyage to San Pedro Bay (Philippines) in August, the ship departed Okinawa, on 20 September, to cover the landing of the Sixth Army occupation force at Wakanoura Wan, HonshÅ«. She remained supporting the occupation until 15 October, then sailed via Singapore, Colombo, Ceylon, and Cape Town, South Africa, to Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, arriving on 7 December. She was decommissioned in 1947.

U.S.S. California on 7 April 1941

U.S.S. California after repair and refit