AUBUCHON continued.

A letter from TSgt. Francis M. Daly Jr., sent from the Ninth Service (Army) Command, Dibble General Hospital, Menlo Park, California, dated 7 November 1945, reads:

"As a result of questioning by 1stLt C.H.A. Kazen, at Dibble General Hospital, Menlo Park, TSgt Francis M. Daly Jr, 16108393, makes the following statement concerning 2ndLt Thomas P. Hogan and others:

On 14 November 1943, while on a flight in a B-24 bomber over central Burma, in which the following personnel were participating as members of the crew, our bomber was shot down in the neigborhood of Mytikila (sic) in central Burma. [The crew was comprised of:] Major Wesley Werner, pilot; 2ndLt Theodore F. Young; 2ndLt Thomas P. Hogan Jr.; 1stLt John C. Kelley; TSgt Urvan A. Aubuchon; TSgt Francis M. Daly; SSgt Francis E. Jordan; SSgt Thomas P. Hopes; SSgt Sidney Kurtz (KIA in crash) and SSgt Robert P. Tucker (KIA in crash).

As a result of enemy aircraft action, we were forced to attempt a crash landing in a river bed, but upon landing our aircraft exploded and as a result two of the crew personnel were killed, while the others received burns and injuries. The two that were killed were SSgt Tucker and SSgt Kurtz. The rest of us had to abandon the scene of the crash and the two bodies and travel as best we could to a Burmese village nearby. We could not bury the bodies because we were all injured and could not extricate them from the wreckage. At the village we contacted some Burmese civilians, who in turn contacted the Japanese soldiers who captured us and I do not know whether or not they sent a searching party to locate the plane.

While at Mytikila (sic), 2ndLt Theodore F. Young died as a result of his injuries. The Japanese then tok his [body] away, but I do not know whether they buried him in the vicinity or not. I feel almost certain that they did bury him somewhere in the vicinity. Then they took the rest of us to Rangoon and placed us in a prison camp which had been an old British prison, and as far as I can remember was called the Rangoon Jail.

At the prison they placed us in solitary confinement - 3 men to a cell. Major Werner, 2ndLt Hogan and myself happened to share one cell together. However on the day previous to the day that Hogan died, the Japanese took Major Werner out for questioning and brought in Private Patrick Hennigan (approx. spelling) 13th Battalion of the King's Regiment, a British private. The next day, which was on or about 20 November 1943, 2ndLt Hogan died in the cell and the Japanese took him out. Lt. Hogan died during the night and the Japanese took his body out of our cell and put it in the cell next to ours  until the next morning. Who took it from there and when, I cannot say. At that time, I was delirious. It was the usual procedure at the camp for the prisoners to bury those prisoners who died. And although I do not remember definitely, I am under the impression that someone told me later that some of the prisoners had buried Lt. Hogan in the Rangoon cemetery, which is about a mile from the jail.

At the time Lt. Hogan died, the CO of the prisoners at the prison camp was Brig. Gen. Hooper. Later on, an American Lt.Col. by the name of Douglas G. Gilbert - 1312 N. Quincy St., Arlington, VA, was the CO of the American prisoners. Later on, Brig.Gen. Hooper, the British officer, was killed during a strafing by allied aircraft, while the General, together with some other prisoners were being evacuated from the prison. However, I feel that Lt.Col. Gilbert may have taken over some charts and data on our men, which might how where Lt. Hogan was buried. It may be that whoever succeeded Gen. Hooper, however, may have acquired possession of of those charts and data. While I was in Washington, I was interviewed by Capt. Hennesey, in the Chief Casualty Branch, and as far as I can remember, he said that they had the charts of where our men were buried.                                                                                   (continued)