Crew of B-25D - Burdette H. Baker, Pilot, continued

REDD, CHARLES HENRY, Second Lieutenant, 0-669109, USAAF

2ndLt Charles Henry Redd was the navigator on 2ndLt Baker’s B25D. Born 12 November 1918 in Omaha, Nebraska, to James Carroll Redd (1884-1972) and Minnie Margaret (Miller) Redd (1892-1984), he had two siblings in 1940: Irene (Redd) Schroder (1912-    ), Annette Butler (1929-    ).he enlisted in the USAAF on 24 February 1941 at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri (enlisted service # 17016474), while residing in Meramec, Franklin County, Missouri. He married Marian “Mary” Jane Beckman. Charles H. Redd died in St. Louis, Missouri, 6 June 1961 from lymphosarcoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) and uremia (Certificate # 61-023076).

The St. Louis Star & Times of 26 June 1942 reported that Aviation Cadet Charles H. Redd was at Ellington Field, Texas.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch of 1 December 1943 reported that 2ndLt Redd had been awarded the Air Medal in India as the navigator-bombardier for a B-25D bomber, for completing 150 combat flying hours according to his wife, Mary Redd.

On 16 January 1944, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and the Joplin Globe (Joplin Missouri), reported that 2ndLt Charles H Redd, navigator-bombardier, was missing in action. 2ndLt Redd was 25 years old. Before enlisting, he assisted his father in managing the Meramec State Park at Sullivan, MO. His parents lived in Grover, MO, and Mary Jane Redd, his wife, lived at 532 South Hanley Road, Clayton, MO.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch of 6 May 1945 reported, in an article titled, “Two St. Louisans Among 73 Freed From Jap Prison Camp in Burma,” and “Lt. Charles H. Redd Reported Missing More Than Year Ago – Rice Diet, Slappings, Medical Neglect.”  The two were 2ndLt Redd and Major Wesley Werner. As to Redd, “Since Redd’s plane crashed on a Burma hillside nearly a year and a half ago, his wife, Mrs. Mary Redd, 432 So. Hanley Road, had not known whether he was alive or dead. When informed by the Post-Dispatch last night that Lt. Redd’s name was in a group of freed prisoners, she exclaimed: “Oh, my God!” Then, half laughing, half sobbing, she said: “Are you kidding? How is he? When do you think he’ll come home?” She said he was reported missing since Dec. 20, 1943, after the B-25 medium bomber on which he was navigator plunged into rough Burmese countryside following damage from Japanese antiaircraft fire near Mandalay. Three men were seen by others in the squadron parachuting from the crippled bomber, but they remained unidentified. Mrs. Redd said she never learned that her husband had become a Japanese prisoner. Lt. Redd, 26 years old, a graduate of Ben Blewett High School, was on his sixty-eighth mission when his plane crashed. He held the Air Medal. He has a 2-year old son. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. James C. Redd, live at Grover, Missouri.