CLYBORNE continued.

1stLt Erwin last saw Clyborne in the Bassein hospital at 1700 hours on 4 December 1943. Erwin spoke with several allied POWs who came through Bassein hospital and none of them had seen or heard of Clyborne. Erwin belved that Clyborne died within a week or two after 4 December 1943. The wounds in Clyborne's legs had already become badly infected and medicine and medical supplies were virtually nonexistent. Erwin suggested the the Graves Registration team contact the Burmese doctor (European educated) who was the head of the Bassein hospital.

The crew and its bomber had flown an identical mission to bomb the Insein railroad marshalling yards and the locomotive repair shop on 27 November 1943 and the second on 1 December 1943, when they were shot down. The Japanese had built the railway from Indochina to Burma using enslaved locals and POWs. Thousands died in its construction. Erwin was emphatic and persuasive in his correspondence and casualty questionnaire. A report exists (has not been found) which appears to indicate 2ndLt Clyborne did not die until 31 December 1943 (30 days after incurring his wounds). This would only be possible if someone at the Bassein hospital made extraordinary efforts at treatment. Like the jungle in Vietnam, it is unforgiving and infects even minor wounds and the resulting infection can kill.

Vernice Marie Hall was born 22 August 1895 in Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia to Samuel Amon Hall (1871-1945) and Mary Francis (Ellis) Hall (1878-1951). Her siblings included Clinton Arthur Hall (1893-1959), Alma Dorothy Hall (1901-1973) and Samuel Amon Hall Jr (1913-1968). Her father was a blacksmith for a canning company. She and Clarence A. Clyborne were married 10 April 1918 in Richmond, Virginia. Vernice M. (Hall) Clyborne died 12 September 1974 in Bluefield. She is buried in the Monte Vista Park Cemetery, Bluefield, West Virginia. She was survived by a grandson, Ronald A. Clyborne, Montrose, California, a nephew, Samuel A. Hall III, and a great nephew, Samuel A. Hall IV, both of Richmond, Virginia. Samuel Amon Hall Jr. registered for the WW II draft in 1940 at age 27, describing himself as 6', 190 lbs, with black hair and brown eyes. He worked for the Carnation Company. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy on 7 April 1944 and was honorably discharged 10 January 1946. He married Virgina S. (Scott) Hall (1912-2001) on 29 August 1932 in Washington, D.C.. He died at age 54 on 5 March 1968, while at a Howard Johnson Motel in Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia, showing a residence address of 9307 Lawndell Road, Richmond, Virginia. He was a salesman for the Selig Company. He suffered cardiac arrest and was not revived. After services, he was buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Richmond.