DERBYSHIRE, HENRY EDWIN II, First Lieutenant, Service # 0-1116766, U.S. Army

Henry E. Derbyshire was born 17 August 1920 at Fort Loudon Franklin County, Pennsylvania. In 1942, he was a student at Pennsylvania State University. On his draft card, he described himself as 5'11", 170 lbs, with brown hair and blue eyes. He graduated from Penn State in May 1944 and enlisted 13 November 1944. Like Graves Registration team-mates Captain Corley and 1st.Lt. Dutton, he was first trained and assigned to the Corps of Engineers. After the war with Japan ended, he remained in the CBI theater of operations, assigned to Graves Registration, to help recover American war dead. He listed as his emergency contact, William Harry Derbyshire, 72 North Main Steet, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. He died 17 May 1946 when the Graves Registration C-47B crashed in heavy monsoon weather into the Bay of Bengal. The Harrisburg Telegraph reported him as missing on the C47 due to "severe weather."


DRUMMEY, ROBERT D., First Lieutenant, Service # 0-815670, U.S. Army Air Force

Robert Drummey was born in 1921 in Braintree, Massachusetts, to Christopher Anthony Drummey (1894-1973) and Florence M. Drummey (1896-    ). He had several siblings, including Catherine M., Mary E., Christopher A., Florence M., Jean, and Richard. Assigned overseas to the 490th Bomber Squadron, 341st Bomber Group, 10th Air Force, he was pilot of a B-25H, Tail # 43-4905, which departed an India base on 17 October 1944. Its target was Hawnghkio Air Base (Japanese). The B-25H was last seen at 1500 hours in the vicinity of the target. It was armed with 14 .50 caliber machine guns and a 75 mm. cannon. The rest of the crew were navigator 1st.Lt. Franklin J. Stom , 0-685137, engineer-gunner Pvt Michael F. Foley, 32382510, radio operator-gunner Sgt. James S. Nare, 33165016, and armorer-gunner SSgt. John Andrews, 39612333. 1st.Lt. Harry A. Fisher, 0-750362, last saw the B-52H and had radio contact. P-47's were dispatched to search for it. 1st.Lt. Fisher's statement said: "I was leading a flight of three B-25 on 17 October 1944. The weather was bad but both wingmen were able to keep formation. When we were approximately 5 minutes (1618 hrs) from the target, we went through a cloud encountering mild turbulence. We were in the cloud  approximately twenty seconds. When I came out of the cloud my right wing man was missing. Sky coverage was about 8/10ths cumulous clouds. We proceeded on the bombing run.