ORTMEYER continued.

Armin Jr. attended the University of Tampa (University of Florida) and was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. He enlisted 26 September 1941 and went to Randolph Field (San Antonio - now Headquarters U.S.A.F., Randoplh AFB) and completed his primary flight training with the second class of students to be graduated from the school since the U.S. went to war. The class included Ortmeyer and Upson (Tampa Times, 19 February, 1942). The two were sent to Ellington Field, [Houston, Harris County], Texas, for advanced training. A 25 April 1942, Tampa Times article pictured Ortmeyer and announced he would receive his wings [29 April 1942]. He was first assigned to Mitchell Field, Long Island, NY, as an instructor and where he was promoted to Captain in March 1943. He was sent overseas in April 1943 and assigned to fly the P-38 Lightning in the 89th Fighter Squadron, Bangalore, India. He volunteered for the 459th Fighter Sqaudron, 80th Fighter Group, 10th Air Force.

His P-38H-5 fighter formation was flying an escort mission on 27 November 1943 when he was last seen at 1300 hours. His aircraft was armed with four .50 caliber aircraft Browning machine guns and a 20 mm. cannon. Those who last saw him were Capt. John E. Fouth, 0-406733, 1stLt Geoffrey E. Neal, 0-666427, and 2ndLt James O. Harris, 0-746976.  Capt. Fouth wrote on 28 November 1943, that "At 1300, ... I was leading a 2 ship element, four ship flight [fighters] supporting a flight of B-24s at an altitude of 20,000 feet over Rangoon. Captain Ortmeyer with Lieutenant Harlan as wingman formed the 2nd element echelon to right. 2nd Lieutenant James G. Harris was my wingman. I saw five Zeros at 12 o-clock, 3000' below us. We started down to make a pass and as we did, the Zeros turned away. While diving I looked behind me and saw six other Zeros following us. I gave orders to drop auxilary tanks and give the "gun." We pulled up in a chandelle trying to get on the tail of the Zeros. The last I saw of Capt. Ortmeyer and Lt. Harlan was when we started our dive on the five Zeros. Lr. Harris stayed with me and returned to Ramu [India]." 1stLt Geoffrey E. Neal's statement says, "Flying a P-51 escorting B-24s over Rangoon at about 1300 hours, .... as the B-24s hit Rangoon, I saw the four P-38s over the center flight of B-24s and about 2000' above them. At that time, I noticed six Zeros above and up sun of the P-38s and diving down upon them. I saw the P-38s start a turn into the attack, but was not able to watch them any further."

After being shot down by the enemy, Ortmeyer was captured and imprisoned in the Rangoon Cantonment. He died there of malnutrition and dysentry 13 January 1945. His remains were recovered by the Graves Registration team then lost on the Graves Registration C-47B crash into the Bay of Bengal 17 May 1946. He was awarded the Dinstinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal and Purple Heart.

He is remembered by Patricia P. Barry, M.D., niece, of Gloucester Point, Virginia.